A friend (who partly inspired my Paleo journey) sent this recipe my way last week and it is delicious – think picnics, potlucks, BBQ’s and all food summer and you have the perfect dish. We had this tonight with BBQ chicken and a slice of cool, sweet watermelon. Yummmm…. Thanks Charlie!
- 2 heads cauliflower
- 3 large hard-boiled eggs
- 1.5 pounds bacon
- 4 stalks celery
- 3 dill pickles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 teaspoons combo/all-purpose seasoning
- ½ cup pickle juice
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
Make the mayo. Here is how I made mine.
- Hard-boil the eggs, then chill in the fridge.
- Chop the cauliflower and boil for about 20 minutes, you are looking for consistency – not too mushy, not too firm.
- Mash the cauliflower with a potato masher until it resembles mashed potatoes.
- Put the cauliflower in the fridge to chill.
- Fry the bacon, put half in the fridge to chill and make the other half extra-crispy for the topping.
- Chop the bacon, eggs, celery, and pickles.
- Make the dressing by mixing the pickle juice, mustard, mayo, salt, and seasoning in a small bowl until just combined.
- Add the dressing and chopped bacon (reserve the crispy bacon), eggs, celery and pickles to the mashed cauliflower and blend until combined.
- Dust the top with sweet paprika and layer the crispy bacon on top.