I know it is Spring according the calendar but according to our weather in the Seattle area it is cold! Ohh right… that is Spring here! I always have high hopes that Spring will be super bright and sunny and verging on warm and while we get a few teaser days sprinkled in here and there we take the term Spring Showers literally. To keep me warm I whipped up this soup today. It is very easy to make and has such a smooth flavor you could add a wide variety of spices to vary this flavor, because I am adding some shredded Mexican style chicken I am adding to those flavors.
- 1 large sweet potato, baked
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (full fat, from the can)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Ancho chili powder (any chili powder would probably work)
- Dash cumin
- 1/2 cup shredded taco chicken
- Dollop of guacamole
- Bake the sweet potato in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour, I put mine in a glass pan to avoid any drips in the oven.
- Once the sweet potato is cooked, remove the skins and lightly mash in a medium bowl.
- Using an immersion blender add the coconut milk and chicken broth to the sweet potato and blend with an immersion/stick blender. If you don’t have one of these, dump all of your ingredients in a blender.
- Process until well combined.
- Add seasonings and process again.
- Do a taste test – is it spicy enough? If not, adjust. Pour into two bowls, top with the chicken and guacamole
I think this would also be delicious with Penzey’s Bangkok blend for a thai twist…